Jobs Near Me
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date.
We also provide the following additional benefits
* Annual leave
* Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
* Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
* Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
* Season ticket loan
* Occupational Health support and Employee Assistance Programme.
* Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products and supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres as well as discounted access to sports and social clubs
UK Power Networks
UK Power Networks is the country’s biggest electricity distributor, making sure the lights stay on for more than eight million homes and businesses across London, the South East and the East of England.
UK Power Networks continues to be listed in the Sunday Times’ Top 25 Best Big Companies to Work For, as well as the Inclusive Top 50 UK Employers, and made industry history by becoming first company to win Utility of the Year two years running (2015 and 2016, also 2012). The company is accredited in the Investors in People Platinum and Nation Equality Standard.
The company invests more than £600 million in its electricity networks every year, offers extra help to vulnerable customers at times of need, and is undertaking trials to ensure that electricity networks support the transition to a low carbon future. It also moves cables and connects new electricity supplies.
Linesperson Job Purpose:
The position will be responsible for the delivery of network enhancement projects and / or restoration of electrical supplies on the UK Power Networks distribution system, carrying out repairs on the overhead lines
Linesperson Principal Accountabilities:
* Carries out all work in connection with the construction, maintenance and report of
* Overhead lines and any associate plant and equipment, connections, and earthing, including cable laying and necessary excavation, backfill and reinstatement
* Overhead line service lines, pilots and catenaries, service termination equipment and connections thereto
* Patrols overhead lines and reports defects and any work being performed in the vicinity of the line route.
* Carries out work on live 240/415v apparatus conductors or equipment as required, in accordance with the appropriate safety rules.
* Carries out live line work on overhead lines up to and including 33kv.
* Installs and connects, or disconnects and removes, or re-sites whole current metering.
* Removes and replaces links and fuses on the 240/415v network.
* Uses meters and instruments and records readings. Assists in resistance, thermal and height measurements on overhead lines.
* Carries out rigging, erects and inspects pre-formed scaffolds and pole and clip scaffolds.
* Carries out tree felling and tree trimming.
* Drives vehicles, cleans them and carries out roadworthiness checks.
* Operates communications/data transmission and display equipment.
* Operates mechanical aids and uses portable equipment.
* Switches, isolates and earths when authorised to do so.
* Undertake Standby Duties.
Nature and Scope:
Where appropriate, the post holder will work with the team to achieve the targets set out in the Performance Dashboard. They will be able to work under their own initiative and demonstrate the ability to carry out risk assessments in order to create a safe working environment.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
* LV & HV Authorised
* EPN network competency certificate
* City & Guilds 232 certificate
* To be able to work on own initiative and have the ability to work as part of a team
* To be prepared to train and learn new skills to be able to carry out the full range of duties and be able to complete self-risk assessments
* To have previous experience/knowledge in the field of overhead line construction and maintenance.
Please Note: Internal candidates are eligible to apply for internal positions once they have successfully completed any contractual probationary period.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace